Monday, February 18, 2013

How I decided on this backdrop for Easter...

Happy Monday Everyone!

It can't be time to be thinking about Easter already can it? Well, as a photographer that has to plan her life at least a month out it is. I have to give myself enough time to dream up my backdrop, execute it, shoot some examples with my own kids in it, post those examples, get people booked for the mini sessions, shoot the mini sessions, edit the mini sessions, produce the mini sessions, deliver the mini sessions. ALL in enough time for you to make or order prints to give to your family and friends by Easter.
    Hmmmm, maybe a month and a half would be more like it. :)

So, this last weekend I put together my backdrop for Easter. First off, you must know this about me: If it is traditional or normal or expected, I don't do that. I like to have a unique perspective on life and things. So, when coming up with my backdrop, bunnies and pastels were not going to dominate.

I have recently really tried to hone in on what my esthetic is as a photographer. I was challenged in a photog community that I am a part of to create a collage of photos that I had taken that I feel represent the look and feel of photos I really love. Here is my collage:

This process was so interesting for me to see the things that really pull on my photog heart. Obviously yellows and blues are the most common hues. And then a lot of nature and life. And then there was coffee on my coffee table. I wanted to paint a real picture of what I love. ;)

So, I had this collage in the back of my mind when creating my backdrop for this year's Easter sessions.  I love trees, especially twiggy ones, especially ones that are painted one of my favorite colors. So, I went with those and hung the cutest little speckled yellow eggs from the branches. I chose a bold dark aqua with tiny white "egg" looking detail for my fabric backdrop. Here is what it looks like with my buddy modeling for me...
I love doing these mini sessions, I don't have to worry about the wind or weather, because they are done in my in home studio. But, I will be honest I am very eager for Spring and to get back outside in the natural backdrops that I REALLY love. So, come this spring if you see some photographer with blonde hair skipping through the Myriad gardens or Martin Nature Park or the Paseo, that is me I am just happy to be back in the great outdoors! 

...Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment